Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Making the Exchange

I am bursting at the seams with excitement and thankfulness to God for allowing History to be made in the world. I could go on and on about the many records that have been broken during the entire election process.

As I enjoy and bless the Lord for the many miracles that have taken place, I also find myself repositioning from thanksfulness unto a prayer of sincere intercession. It's like the same affect that happened in Joshua 1:2, where God says, "Moses My servant is dead; now therefore arise, cross this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the sons of Israel. "

In my translation, when God says "Moses my Son is dead", it simply means yesterday is gone, the elections are over. Then God goes on to say, "Now therefore arise, cross this Jordan, you and all this people". This simply means, NOW go and do what I have commanded and commissioned you to do.

If you are unsure of what God has commanded and commissioned us to do, see the email that I received from a close friend in which it expresses my sentiment exactly.

From my friend:----

I have been really convicted about something the last couple of weeks, and something was taught at my church that summed it up for me. He said character is staying committed to something after the initial excitement wears off. I’ve been thinking about how, when President Bush was elected, I was excited about praying for him because he was a believer in the Lord Jesus. I had faith that he would hear from God and lead our country in a good direction. (This is NOT about politics, by the way. I never vote a straight party ticket, Democrat or Republican. I’ve even been known to vote for some Libertarians!!)

However, as the weeks and months went by, I became, to be transparent with you, complacent and lazy. I gave in to the lie that my prayers didn’t really make a difference, especially when I was disappointed, as I would have been in any human being with that much responsibility. I’ve been thinking lately – how different would things be in our country right now if I – if all believers – had faithfully prayed for President Bush these last 8 years?

I’m asking the Lord to help me be faithful this time, in obedience to His Word: FIRST OF all, then, I admonish and urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be offered on behalf of all men, 2 For kings and all who are in positions of authority or high responsibility, that [outwardly] we may pass a quiet and undisturbed life [and inwardly] a peaceable one in all godliness and reverence and seriousness in every way. 3 For such [praying] is good and right, and [it is] pleasing and acceptable to God our Savior… (I Tim. 2:1-3)

I’m appealing to you to pray for President-elect Obama, starting now during the transition to his administration, and to keep praying. And feel free to keep us accountable and ask each othe if we are following through. That’s what sharpens us is “encouraging one another to good works”.

Here’s what I’m going to start with, from the book Prayers That Avail Much:

Father, in Jesus’ name, we give thanks for the United States and its government. We hold up in prayer before You the men and women who are in positions of authority. We pray and intercede for the president, the representatives, the senators, the judges of our land, the policemen and the policewomen, as well as the governors and mayors, and for all those who are in authority over us in any way. We pray that the Spirit of the Lord rests upon them.

We believe that skillful and godly wisdom has entered into the heart of our president and knowledge is pleasant to him. Discretion watches over him; understanding keeps him and delivers him from the way of evil and from evil men.

Father, we ask that You compass the president about with men and women who make their hearts and ears attentive to godly counsel and do that which is right in Your sight. We believe You cause them to be men and women of integrity who are obedient concerning us that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. We pray the upright shall dwell in our government – that men and women blameless and complete in Your sight, Father, shall remain in these positions of authority, but the wicked shall be cut off from our government and the treacherous shall be rooted out of it.

Your Word declares that “blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord” (ps. 33:12). We receive Your blessing, Father; You are our Refuge and Stronghold in times of trouble (high cost, destitution, and desperation). So we declare with our mouths that Your people dwell safely in this land, and we prosper abundantly. We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus!

It is written in Your Word that the heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord and that You turn it whichever way You desire. We believe the heart of our leader is in Your hand and that his decisions are divinely directed of the Lord.

We give thanks unto You that the good news of the Gospel is published in our land. The Word of the Lord prevails and grows mightily in the hearts and lives of the people. We give thanks for this land the leaders You have given to us, in Jesus Name. Amen.

End Quote

"God bless you all and God bless America"

1 comment:

Weldon Woodward said...

God bless you Kim. America needs patriotic people more than ever. Your friend, Weldon